There's something uniquely pleasurable about listening to vinyl, something that digital media can't reproduce in quite the same way. However most hi-fi amplifiers won't let you plug in a turntable directly. You need to connect via a phono stage (also known as a phono preamp) to make the very small signal from the turntable powerful enough for your main amp to work with. But it's very easy to add noise at this stage, which is why we've designed the CP2 using premium components chosen for exceptional accuracy, amplifying the signal without distorting it.
The CP2 works with all turntables, whichever type of cartridge they use. Like the CP1 it works with popular Moving Magnet cartridges. But it also works with Moving Coil cartridges found in the highest-end audiophile turntables offering even more accuracy and detail than Moving Magnet. Even if your amplifier does have a built-in phono stage, it's well worth bypassing it using the CP2 to deliver much greater depth and detail.
Audio circuitry has been refined with multiple transistors wired in parallel ensuring the lowest possible distortion and noise. A copper shield provides further protection to this extremely sensitive part of the circuitry, limiting the noise that can be injected into the signal. This is especially important with a Moving Coil cartridge because its signal is even quieter and more delicate than Moving Magnet, so it needs even more amplification.
The CP2 uses premium components. High-spec multi-parallel capacitors achieve exceptional RIAA accuracy - the industry standard for reproducing vinyl recordings. A highly accurate, subsonic filter also removes the common problem of unwanted low-frequencies that are inaudible but can damage subwoofers.
- Compatible with moving magnet and moving coil phono cartridges
- External power supply for reduced noise performance
- Balance control for correction of left and right channel cartridge output
- Acoustically damped full-metal chassis with thick, brushed aluminum front panel
- Discrete transistor input stages instead of I.C.s for greater dynamics and lower noise
- Single-ended 'Class A' gain stage with audiophile-grade passive RIAA equalization
- Defeatable subsonic filter to eliminate very low frequency 'rumble'
- External power supply for reduced noise and interference
- Gain: 39dB(MM), 55dB(MC)
- Signal-to-noise ratio: greater than 86dB(MM), greater than 72dB(MC)
- THD: less than 0.009%(MM), less than 0.002%(MC) (20-20,000 Hz)
- RIAA response accuracy: ±0.3dB (20-50,000 Hz) with subsonic filter off
- Crosstalk at 20 kHz: greater than 83dB(MM), greater than 69dB(MC)
- 8-1/2"W x 1-13/16"H x 5-1/4"D