Finally a Hi-Fi Computer - iPod system. Designed to complement the look of the iMac and PC's, respected French high-end speaker maker Focal JMLab's new XS system combines a large stand alone subwoofer unit with two aluminum-suspended satellite speakers that can be placed on a desk next to a computer monitor and controlled with a six-button Infrared remote. Each of the satellites includes 3/4" tweeter and 3" midrange drivers, while the subwoofer packs a 6.5" bass-reflex driver. Can also be used as a stand alone system. Includes Satellites, Powered Subwoofer, iPod dock interface/charger in base of one stand, power and umbilical cables and magnetic remote (iPod not included).
Special Offer $599.00
No further discounts apply to this product
If all computer speakers were as slick as the Focal XS 2.1 Multimedia System (link), our desks would be a lot less cluttered. This new foray into computer audio is a wonderfully integrated package that on the surface looks like an ideal speaker solution for any but the most ardent computer audiophile.
If you know this French company's reputation as one of the premier speaker manufacturers, then you can guess that this is no ordinary budget speaker package. At $599, you will dig much deeper into your wallet for this outfit than the run-of-the-mill speaker sets that populate Best Buy. At the same time, you will be setting up a system designed by a company that produces speakers with mortgage-sized price tags. Audiophiles spend more than $599 for the speaker cables to connect Focal speakers. This is not to say that "price makes right" is a law in audio and here is where the XS system becomes a bargain. If you compare that $599 to the price of a reasonable integrated amplifier, speaker set, DAC and iPod dock, the XS system comes out a steal.
The system comes with two speakers with built in stands, one of which incorporates an iPod dock, a subwoofer and magnetic remote.We love the idea of the built in dock. You can source your music from an iPod if you need to, while syncing and charging the player at the same time. This will also let you remove one more cluttering accessory from your desk. It is also a pretty system that was designed to look great with a Macintosh rig.
- Ultra High-end 2.1 Multimedia solution with integrated sound card and USB input
- Dock for listening, iPod / iPhone recharge and playlist share
- Sound level and iPod remote control
- Very realistic sound image thanks to the registered concept: Visual and Sound Coincidence (VSC)
- Self powered amplifier, 2x30W for satellite and 70W for subwoofer
- Jet Black finish, High Gloss and Black satin
- The true Focal sound, powerful and dynamic, derived from the famous Solo 6 Pro monitors
- Type: 2-way shielded multimedia speaker
- Driver: 3" (8cm) paper cone midbass; 3/4" (19mm) mylar dome tweeter
- Frequency response (±3dB): 130Hz - 20kHz
- Max. sound pressure level: 12dB SPL/1m
- Dimensions (HxWxD): 320 x 90 x 150 mm
- Net weight: 2.2lbs (1kg)
- Type: active bass-reflex subwoofer
- Driver: 16.5cm paper cone woofer
- Frequency response (±3dB): 39Hz - 130Hz
- Max. sound pressure level: 106dB SPL/1m
- Dimensions (HxWxD): 260 x 230 x 370 mm
- Net weight: 18.5lbs (8.4kg)
"I rarely give a device, software, or system I've reviewed my highest rating, but The Focal XS 2.1 Multimedia Sound System deserves it. If I were you - I'd GET IT NOW!" Vern Seward -The MAC Observer - 2/27/09