The 551P follows in the footsteps of its critically acclaimed predecessor, the 540P and has been completely retuned to offer even more foot tapping performance. The advanced electronics, which feature high-quality ‘Class A’ amplification circuits and hand-picked components, are housed in a resilient all-metal outer casing featuring a thick brushed aluminium front panel. In line with Cambridge Audio’s commitment to the environment, the new 551P also features a power switch to allow energy consumption to be zeroed when not in use.
Also available in Black
Cambridge Audio’s new 551P has been designed to complement the wide range of entry-level turntables available today. This high-quality yet extraordinary value pre-amplifier contains the amplification required to enable you to connect your turntable to your stereo amplifier or home cinema receiver.
Do I really need a separate phono pre-amplifier?
Some amplifiers are already able to support turntable connections but these in-built phono pre-amplifiers are massively out-performed by the 551P and we believe that any serious vinyl lover will immediately hear the benefits! Connected using a single audio interconnect cable, the 551P is set-up in seconds allowing you to appreciate stunning clarity, musicality and resolution from all your vinyl recordings.
Moving Magnet Vs Moving Coil...
The 551P is a Moving-Magnet-type (MM) phono stage, which describes the commonly used type of cartridge (sometimes referred to as a ‘needle’ or ‘stylus’) configuration typically supplied with affordable modern turntables. Its bigger brother, the advanced 651P, is capable of both Moving Magnet and Moving Coil operation and is more suited to audiophile applications where the more expensive MC cartridges are coveted for their performance benefits.
- Phono preamplifier with moving magnet (MM) input stage
- Acoustically damped full metal chassis with thick brushed aluminum front panel
- Audiophile WIMA capacitors
- Discrete transistors for the all-important input stages instead of the more common integrated circuits
- Single-ended 'Class A' gain stage with audiophile passive RIAA equalization
- Eco-friendly <1W Standby power consumption
- Available in black and silver finishes
- Max power consumption: 5W
- Gain @ 1kHz: 39dB
- Input impedance: 47kOhm
- Input capacitance: 220pF
- Nominal output: 300mV
- Sensitivity for nominal output: 3.35mV
- Overload margin: >30dB
- THD 20Hz - 20kHz: <0.009%
- RIAA curve accuracy: < +/-0.65dB 25Hz-20kHz
- Signal to noise ratio (using Audio Precision RIAA-1 with grounded inputs): >85dB
- Crosstalk @ 20kHz: >76dB
- Dimensions: 1.8" height, 8.5" wide, 5.2'' deep
- Weight: 1.8 lbs